List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: arts is Constantly/Repeatedly crashing
From:       Michael Pyne <pynm0001 () unf ! edu>
Date:       2005-08-29 2:31:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 28 August 2005 21:19, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> Hello, Everyone
> Now I'm going to go into a non-graphical mode and update, compile and
> install arts, kdelibs and kdemultimedia.  Otherwise, I will not be able to
> use my system.  Hopefully, the default FC3 KDE will not have this problem.
> Otherwise, I'll have to use Gnome until I get this fixed.
> If you need any more information, I will be glad to oblige.
>
> Steven P. Ulrick

I've experienced this before, and it was due to a C++ std library
incompatibility following a gcc upgrade.

In my case I worked around it by disabling aRts output in the KDE Notification
system (KControl/System Notifications/Player Settings), and then I downgraded
gcc and recompiled arts and friends to get things working again.

The basic issue is that artsd is crashing.  If you can figure out why (e.g.
pulling in the wrong libstdc++, or anything with a working gdb backtrace)
that would be helpful.  Once you get it to stop trying to automatically
start, you could probably run it from a Konsole or under gdb to get more
info.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne