List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Tips for kde from source.
From:       Adam Pigg <piggz1 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-08-22 17:51:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi

After eventually getting my system up and running after a catastrophic
harddrive failure on / (luckily /home is a different drive), im back up and
running with mandriva (cooker....which looks loads more professional than
2005 btw).

I used to have loads of self compile software, and have no problems building
kde from svn (gonna give kdesvn-build a try seeinh as eveyone raves about it,
and im sure its much nicer than my scripts :), but does anyone have any tips
for installing 2 or 3 kde's.

I.e. id like to leave the rpms alone so as not to mess with dependencies
(in /usr) but would probably like kdesvn in /opt/kde3.  maybe eventually i'd
like kde4 in /opt/kde4.

Does anyone have tips for running something like this, and making sure they
dont trample on eachother?

If its best, i can easily remove libarts and that should get rid of all of kde
(but there are other things like mplayer/gstreamer that maybe depend on arts)
and just run kde3.5 for the time being.

Cheers

PiggZ
--