List:       kde-devel
Subject:    recognition of CD/DVD's w/ cover art
From:       "johan kdks" <johan.verien () lycos ! com>
Date:       2005-08-03 19:06:54

My friend has a Linux PC and when he inserts a CD or DVD, it popups up the cover art \
automatically and displays all sorts of extended data, like the actors in the film, \
the studio that released the cd, etc.  And we tried 100 or so discs and it recognized \
every one perfectly, just as good as Windows XP Media Center does, and it even seems \
to cache the entries since the 2nd time you insert the disc the recognition is \
instant (first time takes a few seconds).  None of the other Linux media players I've \
used do this--they all use freedb which doesn't work for DVD's, doesn't have extended \
attributes, and doesn't display any cover art.

Since this is way better than freedb, and it's Linux-based, and it's open source, I \
figured all the other Linux media players could use the same code to do this too.  \
But today I think I've tried 100 media players/rippers, etc., and I've posted \
messages everywhere, and I keep getting told to "try something or other", but in the \
end it's the same thing--it uses freedb.  I tried Juk for KDE, and RhythmBox for \
Gnome, but also no luck.

The open source project my friend uses is plutohome.org.  But I can't use it because \
it's a big home automation and media server that does all sorts of stuff.  All I'm \
looking for is just the 1 tiny piece--the accurate CD + DVD recognition engine that \
shows cover art and all the attributes for a disc.  Preferably integrated into the \
KDE or Gnome desktop, like Windows does, so you always see what's now playing.  \
Anybody know if there's a module that does this?  Or if not, why nobody else is doing \
this for Linux?

Thanks.