List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Against the system:/, media:/ and home:/ namespaces
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-07-13 23:27:08

RafaƂ Rzepecki wrote:> On Wednesday, 13 of July 2005 06:52, James Richard Tyrer \
wrote:> >> Why stop at the HOME directory?  There is a lot of stuff there that>>  \
user don't need to ever visit except to do configuration and >> administration \
tasks.> > > Such as? Everything pertaining to configuration and administration > and \
cetaera is (or at least should be) in dotfiles. Unfortunately, this is not the case.  \
Some apps install directories and filesin HOME that are not hidden.  And some apps do \
NOT hide the hiddenfiles. :-( This said, there are also things that a user might want \
to add to HOMEthat are not data files.
> That is: hidden from the user's normal view.
You have to turn "Show Hidden Files" off in Konqueror and itis not off by default.
> That Ergo: everything not being a dotfile (or dotdir, whatever) in a>  homedir is \
> user's own data.
Since your major premise is not true, you conclusion is false.
A user might want to some of their own stuff in HOME that is not the "user's own \
data" -- stuff for configuration and administration.  For example, I have a directory \
"Install" and users that keep their source code in their HOME tree might want to add \
a "src" directory.
> I don't see any advantage of having another artificial directory > level below \
> home;
Windows and OS/X seem to disagree.  KDE was designed to do this -- the "Documents \
path".
> and this doesn't come free, either: you get longer paths that way,> and that means \
> more typing when entering them manually.
No! you don't longer paths to enter because you start with HOME/Files as your default \
                working directory.