List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Against the system:/, media:/ and home:/ namespaces
From:       Rafał_Rzepecki <divided.mind () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-07-13 9:13:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday, 13 of July 2005 06:52, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Why stop at the HOME directory?  There is a lot of stuff there that user
> don't need to ever visit except to do configuration and administration
> tasks.

Such as? Everything pertaining to configuration and administration and cetaera
is (or at least should be) in dotfiles. That is: hidden from the user's
normal view. Ergo: everything not being a dotfile (or dotdir, whatever) in a
homedir is user's own data. I don't see any advantage of having another
artificial directory level below home; and this doesn't come free, either:
you get longer paths that way, and that means more typing when entering them
manually.
--
Rafał Rzepecki