List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Hello Everyone!
From:       Leo Spalteholz <leo.spalteholz () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-06-26 8:19:22

Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself.
I was one of the lucky people to be accepted to work on a KDE project
by Google for the Summer of Code.  My name is Leo Spalteholz, I'm
studying computer engineering at the University of Victoria in BC,
Canada.

My google project proposal was to write an accessibility application
that allows a user to control their computer using only mouse movement
(no clicking).  This type of scenario often arrises when a user is
using a head mouse or eye tracking system as a HCI device and I've
found that existing software (for any platform) is clumsy, immature,
and ugly.
This is quite a different type of application altogether, based around
various translucent overlays that contain simple interfaces for
entering text or managing windows.  I believe this can be an efficient
way to use a computer with an eye tracking system (I have access to
this and all sorts of other alternative input devices to test).

Another interesting component of this project is its heavy reliance on
performant support for real translucent windows in the display
manager.  Zack Rusin (my mentor) has mentioned that he will look into
coding support for hardware accelerated translucency in QT on X as it
exists for Windows platforms today.

The working title (or final?  I suck at thinking of names) for the
project is "Nokey".

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and my project to everyone
here.  I'm sure I will be pestering you guys and gals with stupid
KDE/QT questions along the way.

Cheers,
Leo