List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE development as a spectator sport!
From:       Amir Michail <amichail () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-06-22 10:09:49

On 6/22/05, Richard Dale <Richard_Dale@tipitina.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> We already have the excellent weekly Commit Digest produced by Derek Kite,
> which does exactly what you describe. It is then discussed on the KDE dot
> news site by the 'general public', and the developers often reply.

Yes, but we can take it further.

First, we could have an automated system to pick up highlights.  This
would make it more scalable than manually identifying such highlights.
 Of course, such a system may give poor results and might be best
combined with manual analysis.

Second, we could have spectators bet on various events (e.g.,  who
will win an argument, when a bug will be fixed, whether a new feature
will be added, whether a developer will gain/lose CVS write access,
etc.).  This would make things more fun and provide another way to
identify interesting events.  See the buzz game as an example of what
could be done: http://buzz.research.yahoo.com/bk/market/index.html

Third, we could allow spectators to focus on individuals (e.g., see
all their posts and commits). Popular developers could get sponsored
by companies just like sports stars.

Fourth, we could have expert commentary on everything from code
commits to interactions between developers.  These experts would help
the spectators understand key computer science/software engineering
principles and how they are applied (or not) in various projects.
This expert commentary could fuel the betting.

Amir