List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Brokering between developers and paying customers
From:       Luke-Jr <luke-jr () utopios ! org>
Date:       2005-06-20 18:36:49

On Monday 20 June 2005 18:02, Jason Harris wrote:
> Daniel Teske wrote:
> >>The point is, if you are developing in-house
> >>software based on Qt that is used for commercial purposes, then
> >>(according to Trolltech) you do need a commercial license, even if
> >>the commercial code is not distributed.
> >
> > Wrong.
> > You can develop commercial applications with a gpl license. The main
> > restriction of the GPL is, that everyone, whom you distrubuted to, is
> > entitled to the source.
> > If you don't distrubute (e.g. strictly internal) that doesn't matter.
>
> Yes, that is the letter of the GPL.  However, I am talking about the
> conditions under which Trolltech is willing to license its code to you
> under the GPL.  Please do click on the FAQ link in my previous post.

	Q. What is the difference between the Open Source and Commercial editions?
	A.   The main difference is licensing. Using the Open Source Edition (under
	 the GPL license) obligates you to share your source code without
	 restrictions with the users of your program. Using the GPL also means you
	 may not demand compensation for or limit subsequent re-use and
	 re-distribution of the source code.
	 You need the commercial license if you want to avoid these obligations.
	 In addition, some tools and add-ons will be available exclusively to
	 commercial license holders.

The commercial license is only needed to avoid the GPL obligations or for
non-Free tools/add-ons.
--
Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios