List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Brokering between developers and paying customers
From:       Richard Dale <Richard_Dale () tipitina ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-06-20 13:57:08

On Monday 20 June 2005 14:39, Jan de Visser wrote:
> On Monday 20 June 2005 08:23, Frederick Emmott wrote:
> > Would there be any issues RE licensing?
> >
> > If some company wants a closed-source KDE app, they have commercial qt
> > license, does the developer need one too?
>
> I would think this is more about in-house applications. If they're not
> distributed, they can be GPLed.
A lot of in-house applications don't qualify as GPL'd because you might need
to share some code with another company to integrate your two systems. Or if
a contractor uses Qt, they are another company which counts as distribution
under the terms of the GPL. Many companies wouldn't be happy with the GPL for
in-house development for reasons like that.

> I can't imagine a software company outsourcing the development of a
> commercial piece of software to some contractor they met over the web.
Why ever not? If you have a contractor with a web presence, you can read their
blogs, look at the code they check in, see how well they support the users of
their software, and see them speak at conferences. And of course you can
still interview them before awarding their company the work.

Do you really mean that getting a bunch of CVs and scanning for keywords like
J2EE, Oracle or whatever is a more reliable way to find someone good?

-- Richard