List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KHTML memory usage.
From:       Oliver Stieber <oliver_stieber () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-06-17 13:33:25

--- David Faure <faure@kde.org> wrote:

> On Friday 17 June 2005 15:08, Oliver Stieber wrote:
> > if (running out of memory and page isn't
> displayed)
>
> What do you mean by not displayed? If you mean
> hidden by another window,
> that's really too tricky to be sure about, and too
> temporary anyway.
> If you mean "a page that I visited previously and
> now I'm viewing another page
> in this browser window", then I have good news: we
> don't keep dom/render trees
> for previously-visited pages (Safari does...). We
> only keep a cache of the HTML.

Other tabs, pages in other windows that haven't been
looked at for hours that kind of thing, you could ben
extend the idea so that doms for previously-visited
pages are cached just like Safari and dropped when
they become a burdon on the system.

Deciding which pages to drop out of memory and into
cache is the easy bit, I just wan't to know how worth
while it will be and how easy it to intergrate. for
instance how easy would it be for me to tell khtml
that an image isn't loaded, if I can push via the dom
then it's easy but if khtml pulls all it's images then
there's a lot more work involved making khtml more
acceaable via code.

You could even drop the RGB images that aren't
displayed so long as the gif/png/jpg is cached.