List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: suggested way of painting a QPicture region?
From:       Stefan Kombrink <katakombi () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-06-15 19:26:05

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 19:55, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 June 2005 18:15, Stefan Kombrink wrote:
> > There is either a
> >   Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x1380e)!
> > or
> >    the app quits without any output (no segfault)
> >
> > and most often I got X Errors of the following kind:
>
> That usually indicates that a thread other than the main event loop thread
> has accessed X11 resources like widgets or QPixmap.

The very same resources, then?

> > This is the drawing routine in a QLabel derived class:
>
> If you are in a QLabel subclass, you could overwrite paintEvent and draw
> there.
> Or draw in a cache pixmap and have it bitblt in paintEvent

You are my angel!
I did that, and it's better now, although I get a async replies or still X
Errors few moments later.
Then I put the drawing stuff in paintEvent, and connect a qtimer to update the
QLabel less frequently.
With a regular update of 1/3 seconds there are no problems.
However, I wonder, why those things may happen. Doesn't X11 use mutexes to
access these resources savely?
Are these problems likely to appear under windows as well?

thanks for helping me out, I am really glad to have expertise on these
excellent mailing list :)
  Stefan K. >8^)