List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Context menus (an idea for summer of code?)
From:       Thomas Friedrichsmeier <thomas.friedrichsmeier () ruhr-uni-bochum ! de>
Date:       2005-06-15 12:18:30

> > That's why I'm rather thinking about defining options
> > structured by context and then to have a generic mechanism for "merging"
> > those contexts on the fly. This mechanism would be provided by the
> > KontextMenu-class, and all the application programmer would have to do is
> > call something like the function-mockup above.
>
> If I understand correctly a context would be something like an action
> collection and the KontextMenu class would filter them and put the
> remaining into a structure defined somewhere else?

Yes, basically, that's the idea. I had not thought of a context as an action
collection so far, but that seems reasonable. Again, the idea still needs
some elaboration.

> > Of course there are many ways to conceptualize the same idea. It would
> > also be possible, for instance, to create a context menu that just
> > contains everything, but assign some flags/tags to each option, and add a
> > mechanism to "filter" the menu according to those flags/tags.
>
> I guess the application could always additionally pass the context of the
> whole application to the menu as well and the default behaviour would be to
> not show it.

Indeed, that would be possible. The starting point for my idea was that I
would have liked to add/remove a few options in konqui's context menu
according to my taste. Once context menus are configurable, the problem of
context menu bloat is (mostly) reduced to finding reasonable defaults, and we
might well provide the user with the freedom to place absolutely everything
in a context menu the application supports.

Thomas