List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Context menus (an idea for summer of code?)
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-06-15 11:25:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 13:10, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:

> > Or a different question:
> > Lets say you have four types of contexts in Konqueror and you have four
> > context menus in the XML GUI file.
> > Wouldn't that be a lot easier to handle than some abtract context thing?
>
> Yes and no. on the one handit would indeed be easier to implement in the
> first place. On the other hand you now have four context-menus to maintain,
> with a considerable number of options which are in fact overlapping between
> the four contexts.

Right. But it would enable the user/admin/distributor to put any action an
application knows into a context menu.

> That's why I'm rather thinking about defining options
> structured by context and then to have a generic mechanism for "merging"
> those contexts on the fly. This mechanism would be provided by the
> KontextMenu-class, and all the application programmer would have to do is
> call something like the function-mockup above.

If I understand correctly a context would be something like an action
collection and the KontextMenu class would filter them and put the remaining
into a structure defined somewhere else?

> Also, as mentioned in another mail, this sort of organization will allow
> for an easy way to change certain aspects by configuration, like having
> captions in the menu for each context, or to e.g. place the image-related
> options in a submenu instead of placing them inline in the context menu,
> etc.

Sounds good.

> Of course there are many ways to conceptualize the same idea. It would also
> be possible, for instance, to create a context menu that just contains
> everything, but assign some flags/tags to each option, and add a mechanism
> to "filter" the menu according to those flags/tags.

I guess the application could always additionally pass the context of the
whole application to the menu as well and the default behaviour would be to
not show it.

> > Btw.: you seem to have replied to your own posting instead of mine. Maybe
> > you didn't use the "reply to mailinglist" action (shortcut L)?
>
> Yes, that's true. The reason is, that I was not subscribed to the list (too
> much traffic), and hence did not receive a copy of your posting. So instead
> I just replied to the mail I sent myself and copied your reply from the
> web-archive. Now, for the purpose of discussing this idea, I have
> subscribed.

Ah, I see. Good you're subscribed now, a discussion with broken threading is
difficult to follow.

Cheers,
Kevin

--