List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kicker Applet Issue
From:       Randy Carnahan <rcarn () chartermi ! net>
Date:       2005-06-10 17:26:29

Haha, good timing...just got your mail...

Aaron, you were right about transparent kicker.  If I turn off
transparency, kicker background *and* restart the kicker, my applet
works as intended.  (Before when I tested this, I did not restart the
kicker.)

I gave that test another try after finding this in the kicker's
container_applet.cpp:

420 void AppletContainer::setBackground()
421 {
422     // can happen in perverse moments when an applet isn't loaded
but the contanier
423     // get's asked to update it's bground anyways
424     if (!_applet)
425         return;
426
427     _applet->unsetPalette();
428
429     if (!KickerSettings::transparent())
430     {
431         setBackgroundOrigin(AncestorOrigin);
432         _applet->repaint();
433         _handle->unsetPalette();
434         _handle->repaint();
435         return;
436     }

...now, as I've said, I'm mostly new to C++, but it seems to be
unsetting the palette on the base widget, and since my calls come
*before* this, it's wiping them out.

Okay, time to rehack my code.  Thanks for the help, Aaron. :)

Randy