List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Re: Kicker Applet Issue
From:       Randy Carnahan <rcarn () chartermi ! net>
Date:       2005-06-10 3:06:58

> From: "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo@kde.org>
>
> IIRC you're using setForegroundColour on the top level
> widget. i wonder if the panel background code mucks
> with this behind the applet's back? (i'm not in front
> of the kicker code atm, so can't check till later).

Yup, setting color on the top level label widget, which is
inside a very simple layout in the applet, using the
inherited method from QWidget.

> if you turn off transparency and the background
> wallpaper in the Appearances panel of kicker's
> config dialog does your applet work as expected?

Gave it a try, and it exhibits the same buggy behavior.  I
have now compiled and tested the applet on two separate
machines (my work machine and my home machine) and it does
the same thing both places.  However, they are both using
up-to-date Gentoo KDE 3.4.1 ("monolithic") emerges, so I
can't rule out that it's something strange in the Gentoo
portage version, though as far as I know, the maintainers
really don't touch the KDE sources.

Could somebody else using a different distro compile and
test and see if the same color issue happens there?

I'm tempted to code up a *very* basic applet consisting of
nothing but a label and a config dialog to change it's
color and see if it does the same thing...

Randy