List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Conditions on use of icons
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-06-08 18:39:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 08 June 2005 10:21, Nathan Toone wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 June 2005 10:00 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > the icons that ship with KDE _are_ LGPL'd
> >
> > so yes, you can use them pretty much anywhere.
>
> OK - so can someone *please* clarify this for me in easy-to-understand
> lanugage?  (non-lawyer speak)

for a mdoest fee. ;-P

> If I am understanding correctly, I CAN use the LGPL crystal icons in *any*
> application - a GPLed web site, a GPLed application or a non-GPL commercial
> application.  Is that correct?

coorect.

> If so, what requirements are there for using it in a GPLed website, GPLed
> application or non-GPL commercial application?

none, other than if you modify the icons and distribute your app you have to
allow distribution of those changes ...

> How do I handle the "source
> code" requirements and the "attribution" requirements that are listed in
> the LGPL (and the crystal iconset addendums)?

if you redistribute the icons (e.g. with your application), include
attribution in your distribution files. "distribution" is generally agreed to
mean "giving it to someone else"

oh, i am not a lawyer. just a geek. i could be wrong. the above could eat your
children. but i think it's right ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo