List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: SVN snapshots
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2005-06-07 18:30:13

Dnia wtorek 07 czerwiec 2005 17:07, Dirk Mueller napisał:
> On Tuesday 07 June 2005 11:41, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> > Thanks for svn snapshots but no thanks for making them practically
> > useless. Where is .svn structure?
>
> Its removed, otherwise the tarballs would be twice as big. Do you want
> to download such big tarballs?

Awkward but more useful than current situation.

> I was thinking about deleting all *but* the .svn dirs so that you can
> run "svn revert -R ." to make them compile... but then you need svn
> installed together with autoconf and automake.. I'm not sure anyone is
> going to do that.

When someone is downloading tarball I think it means (s)he want to
compile it - so there is for sure autoconf/automake on target machine.

Main problem with current situation is that snapshots are by definition
unstable. Without .svn structure it means with any glitch whole tarball
has to be downloaded again. With svn structure it is only question of
``svn up``.

BTW - looked into .svn/text-base and svn should not be needed to
retrieve files from .svn. Just move all files with suffix .svn-base two
levels up, scratch suffix and you have whole repository... Probably
``find/sed`` oneliner should be able to do that. No svn requirement.
Just put into dir short README and shell script ``retrieve-files``. Test
if svn is available, if is do it by rules ``svn revert -R .`` if no run
find.

-------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

if [ "`svn --version | grep "Copyright (C)"`" ]; then

    svn revert -R .

else

    for file in `find -name "*.svn-base" | grep -v "\.svn/prop-base"`; do
        dir="${file%/*/*/*}"   # 2 lvl up dir
	withext="${file##*/}"  # Get file name
	woext="${withext%.*}"  # But we don't want svn-base extension
	cp $file $dir/$woext
	# Check if executable
	if [ "`grep svn:executable $dir/.svn/prop-base/$withext`" ]; then
	    chmod 755 $dir/$woext
	else
	    chmod 644 $dir/$woext
	fi
    done

    # Optional
    # rm -rf .svn

fi

Just tested above script on small KDE subdirectory (commenting out svn
part). Removed all program files (left Makefiles), retrieved files from
.svn with script and recompiled successfully.

m.

Vim Universal Templates
CLEWN - http://clewn.sf.net