List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Kicker Applet Issue
From:       Randy Carnahan <rcarn () chartermi ! net>
Date:       2005-06-06 15:40:42

Hello,

Some time ago, I coded up a kicker applet to track my desktops:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=12202

Worked great for a long time, really no issues, but once I upgraded to
KDE 3.4 (and just 3.4.1 before the weekend) it no longer uses settings
for the Font Color saved from the applet's config dialog.  Strangely,
however, the settings *are* being saved to the applet's rc file:

rcarn@cerebus [11:15] ~/.kde $ cat share/config/libkcliprc
Font=Luxi Sans,10,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
FontColor=255,255,255

It defaults to being Black, instead of whatever was chosen. The actual
font choice works just fine, and is updated once the dialog closes,
just not the color.  I've looked over the changes in 3.4(.1) and can't
see any API changes to KPanelApplet and other widgets, that could
account for why the color is no longer being set.  I'm still using QT
3.3, so the setPaletteForegroundColor() from the inherited QWidget has
not changed.

Here is my complete preferences() method:

void kclip::preferences() {
    // Set to our current settings
    confDialog->fontEdit->setFont(deskFont);
    confDialog->configFontColor->setColor(deskFontColor);

    if (confDialog->exec() == QDialog::Accepted) {
        deskFont = confDialog->fontEdit->font();
        deskFontColor = confDialog->configFontColor->color();
        deskLabel->setFont(deskFont);
        setPaletteForegroundColor(deskFontColor);
        ksConfig->writeEntry("Font", deskFont);
        ksConfig->writeEntry("FontColor", deskFontColor);
        figureWidth();
        updateLayout();
        changeDeskLabel(currentDesk);
    }
}

Any clue on why this is not working anymore?  I've totally cleared out
any and all files, recompiled, and it still doesn't work. :)  Keeping
in mind, I am not a C+ guru (I mostly work in python/pyQT/pyKDE) but
comfortable coding and digging around in APIs, is there something I
might have missed in the last KDE update?

Thank you.

--
Randy Carnahan
I am Geek. Hear me Code!