List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Unified document viewer, lack of communication
From:       Wilfried Huss <Wilfried.Huss () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-06-04 16:53:53

Am Saturday 04 June 2005 18:17 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> A Dissabte 04 Juny 2005 17:14, Stefan Kebekus va escriure:
> > I just learned from Wilfried Huss that you (Aaron Seigion, Zack Rusin)
> > have posed the "Google Summer of Code" task to write "join the
> > functionality of KPDF, KGhostview and KDVI in a single shell". I am a
> > little surprised that I, as the maintainer of KDVI was not informed about
> > this, in particular, since Wilfried Huss and me have been working on a
> > unified viewer for quite a while now, and have already produced a good
> > viewer, with a
> > well-documented API that already supports 3 file types.
>
> Well, that's probably a fault in my part, i suggested the "bounty" to Zack,
> and forgot to tell you where working actively on kdvi.

> The problem is that we have two viewer shells that are "expandable", kdvi
> beign one and kpdf beign other (you can already open all image file formats
> kimgio supports on kpdf) so one has "to die" if we want to have a unified
> shell.

KViewShell can open DVI, FAX, and DjVu-Files.

Why does a document viewer needs to open pictures?

You may know that I have contacted you about a possible collaboration a few
months ago, nothing came out of it.

And I replyed to a post of Enrico Ros on kde-graphics-devel on the future of
KPDF with another offer to combine our efforts. No one even answerd.
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-graphics-devel/2005-February/000095.html
Some things I said in this post about KViewShell are not valid anymore. For
example we now support documents with more then one papersizes.

So I don't understand what is different know? That Google drops some money?

> The thing is "do the person that implements the unified shell has to use
> kpdf or kdvi as a base?" i don't know, the bounty text says to use kpdf but
> i assume that is because Zack has not used kdvi lately and has seen how
> much it has matured.
>
> Piotr Szymanski (Niedakh on irc djurban username in svn iirc) wants to
> implement that bounty, i think we should leave him decide which shell he
> prefers to work on/expand and ask his questions.

Will he also maintain it after the bounty?

Greetings,
Wilfried.