List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Unified document viewer, lack of communication
From:       Stefan Kebekus <kebekus () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-06-04 16:39:29

Am Saturday 04 June 2005 17:14 schrieben Sie:

> How do you plan to integrate forward/inverse search?

Maybe I should briefly explain what that is: the TeX typesetting system has a
way to include information into the DVI file that links paragraphs of the DVI
with paragraphs of the original text file that TeX used to generate the DVI.

Many editors that support TeX therefore have provisions that allow users who
look at the text source code to jump to the right position in the DVI file,
and vica versa: by clicking into the DVI file, you can make your editor go to
the right paragraph of the source file. This is called "forward" or "inverse"
search.

This functionality is provided by KDVI via a DCOP-interface and by a command
line interface that many programms use (e.g. KILE, emacs, xemacs, nedit). If
we replace KDVI we should either keep some compatibility, or else make sure
that everyone has enough time to update their program.

Best,

Stefan.
--
Maintainer of KDVI