List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Google's Summer of Code
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-06-02 1:34:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 01 June 2005 06:34, Barry O'Donovan wrote:
> that that is part and parcel of these things; you stick your head out
> and more often than not it gets chopped off!

do you really think a rough and tumble culture is most condusive to
encouraging people?

to be honest, i don't care what we do now nor do i care what LUGs do. i care
about doing what's most effective for KDE's future, and that starts with
getting greater participation. if that means adjusting things in our culture,
then we should do that.

recently in converstaion, Ettrich observed that i'm one of those people who
are perfectly suited to thrive within KDE's culture: i'm a good socializer, i
don't mind being rude when i feel its called for and i have a thick skin. he
also noted that this means that people who aren't those things are not suited
to thrive in this culture, and that there are a LOT of them out there. i
think he was spot on.

i'll continue to thrive, as will you and Binner and all the rest of us KDE
people, in a more gentle culture. people who are shy, poor socializers or
have non-stratospheric limits when it comes to self-esteem and patience don't
thrive in our current culture.

we are limiting the people who can and will contribute to KDE, even though
those people have very valid input to offer. it's like saying that cactus do
just fine without water and they have beautiful flowers, so when we go to
design our botanical garden why water it just because the pansies might need
it?

which will it be: a macho man club, or a KDE with more people contributing?
cacti only or all the flowers of the world?

note that i'm especially concerned with this sort of behaviour on kde-devel.
at least on kde-core-devel we have the "seasoned veterans" if you will.
kde-devel is our broadest reaching list when it comes to those even
peripherally involved in developer with and/or for KDE. the culture here
really needs to be as growth-promoting as possible.

--
Aaron J. Seigo