List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Google's Summer of Code
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-06-01 23:54:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 01 June 2005 05:33, Barry O'Donovan wrote:
> I certainly do not want to stifle initiative - absolutely not - but

then we need to learn how to direct people's efforts with positive
reinforcement and engagement. that's all i'm saying here.

> The bottom line is - however well intentioned - Brad should not have
> made an overture to Google regarding this by CC'ing them. Bottom line.

i think this is the perfect way to stifle initiative: tell people they
shouldn't practice it.

if brad is like many people i know, including myself, given the reaction i
received i wouldn't be surprised to see a general "screw this, i'll go do
something else" response. if not in words, then in actions. or rather, in
lack of action in the future.

i understand what you are trying to say (or so i think anyways ;) and i agree
that it could have been done much better. i also realize that Brad's email
has not endangered anything here and making it out to be so is simply playing
Chicken Little. the sky isn't falling here, right? so with no damage done,
but signs of initiative to be seen, how do we shape that energy to be more
useful next time?

by positively engaging Brad and making suggestions on how to maybe do it
better next time and expressing joy at his having shown initiative. and i'll
bet that next time Brad will show initiative, but do it in a more productive
manner. we all win.

remember as well that there are hundreds upon hundreds of people watching us
on this list. every interaction we involve ourselves in helps sway their
desire to help and get more involved or not to help and be less involved. and
THAT is something that has far, far more implications than simply one email
to Google.

--
Aaron J. Seigo