List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Region Of =?utf-8?q?T=C3=BCrkiye?=
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-30 7:49:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 30 May 2005 07.53, Görkem Çetin wrote:
> Hi

> What I've observed from my past experieces is that,
> KDE users tend to seek "Turkey" in southern Europe
> while defining their territory in KDE and not

Gather round little children, while I tell you a tale:

Once upon a time, there was a KingDom(E) that needed to show a  list of
countries.  It started out shortish, but over time, it got very long indeed.
So long, it was very hard to find any countries in it, no matter how we tried
to order it.

We thought, and thought, and thought some more, and thought "hmmm, why not
break it up by continent."  And that worked for a while.  But some continents
have more countries than others, and some lists looked very silly with only
one item in them, and others were still hard to navigate, because they had
40.

So we thought, and thought, and then thought some more.  Hmm, why not break
the bigger ones up in roughly geographical areas, that on purpose don't
especially correspond to any political ones, simply to make the lists
smaller.  That way, perhaps people won't get hung up on which list they are
in, but they will be able to find the country they are looking for fairly
quickly, since a glance at the top level list of groups would show they are
clearly geographical.

And that worked for years, and all in the kingdom were happy.

Over time, the happy people in the KingDom(E) forgot why the list was arranged
the way it was, and some of the countries migrated from place to place in a
way that cannot be accounted for by plate tectonics.  And some of the people
became unhappy.

But then along came the wise translators who don't read politics into every
little change (hey! this is a fairy tale isn't it?!) and put back the
countries into the geographically logical place, without too much regard for
the politics of it all.

And everyone lived happily ever after.

THE END.

I suggest y'all just look at the lists, ignore entirely the politics, and
figure out what is the most *logical* place people wanting to find Turkey
will look for it in.  Southern Europe seems to be that to me, if you just
look at a map, and since Görkem agrees, I don't think there needs to be an
issue made of this, it really was just about making the country list
navigable at all, rather than leaving them all in one big list.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org