List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Region Of =?utf-8?q?T=C3=BCrkiye?=
From:       Görkem Çetin <gorkem () gorkemcetin ! com>
Date:       2005-05-30 5:53:57

Hi

There has been a ongoing argue for years whether
Turkey is a European or an Asian country, since some
part of Turkey geographically fits in Europe (where
I live, also) and the remaining in Asia, just
like Russia. Besides, Turkey is represented in both
European and Asian economical, political and
administrative foundations.

What I've observed from my past experieces is that,
KDE users tend to seek "Turkey" in southern Europe
while defining their territory in KDE and not
in *Asia or Middle East. It was so before KDE 3.1,
and somehow changed after 3.1. Often, they
desperately had to seek for some time until they
click the Middle East button. I occasionally get
complaints about this problem.

In fact it's a bit of an issue about what people
feel they mostly like to see themselves on the
world ;-)

So as Allan points out, I'd like to propose to
change the region information for Turkey from Middle
East to South Europe. Please let me know how to
proceed (i.e enter a bug report, etc).

Best wishes
Görkem
KDE, GNOME, OpenOffice.org, Fedora Linux Turkish
localization team leader