List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Internationalization
From:       Christian Mueller <cmueller () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-05-21 6:45:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Samstag, 21. Mai 2005 03:47 schrieb R.F. Pels:
> Mind you, I did not have the intention of putting IRMA down. I think it has
> features that would be welcome in KBabel too. However, I think the situation
> that exists now is suboptimal:
>
> - users are 'drawn away' from the regular translation teams while many of
>   them could use an influx of contributors
> - there are two translation tools now that are not yet integrated
> - there are two parties that do QA
> - there are two parties that do management and coordination of the
>   translation efforts.

Make that three if, for example, the maintainer of an extragear app
chose to register his project with rosetta, the web translation
tool developed by the (k)ubuntu project:
https://launchpad.ubuntu.com/rosetta
(There's none yet so this problem exists only in theory...)

It seems these web-based translation tools are in fashion at the moment.

I think the KDE version of the translations must be the "authoritative"
one and improvements must be synched back and forth on a regular basis
from and to the different external tools or
- some contributions may never make it to all KDE users
- the translations in different distros will get more and more inconsistent
- translation errors will be reported in the wrong place
  (e.g. to bugs.kde.org, but the KDE i18n team is not responsible
   for the translation in the Linspire distro if Linspire uses
   a separate system)

So the "giving back" part is very important.  Unfortunately
the integration of changes will require checking, I don't
think they can or should get in automatically.
That would mean work for the KDE translation maintainers,
and probably for "someone" in the other direction as well...

Christian.