List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Chinese lunar calender support and improvement for existing
From:       LiuCougar <liucougar () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-05-03 0:25:33

On 5/2/05, Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher@kde.org> wrote:
> On Friday 29 April 2005 18:57, LiuCougar wrote:
> >
> > Do you think it is necessary to split the core to a dedicated
> > library? AFAICT, KCalendarSystemJalali (shipped with kdelibs) does
> > not rely on any other libraries, or am I wrong?
>
> I don't think it's necessary to put the code into a separate library.
Thanks. the core of chinese calendar is almost done in a sub-class of
KCalendarSystem.

> > This plugin seems to handle holidays itself. Do you think it is
> > better to sub-class KHolidays or use this kind of hardcoded one?
>
> It depends a bit on how the Chinese calendar is usually used. It is used
> in parallel to a Gregorian calendar or is it used as only calendar? If
> it is used in parallel, it probably is the easiest way to write a
> CalendarDecoration plugin.
It is used along side with Gregorian calendar: each calendar sold in
China (I mean real calendar, paper based) marks each day with its
correponding chinese calendar date. Now I will move on to investigate
the CalendarDecoration plugin and try to implement user interface for
the chinese calendar. Any suggestions?

I think the chinese calendar core should be implemented in a
KCalendarSystem, while the user interface should be based on a plugin
system (CalendarDecoration)

> > The idea of "Extending KDatePicker" is what I am looking for: with
> > this kind of capability, it is possible to add extra info to a date,
> > such as the name of the chinese lunar day, and some other important
> > date for a users: say parents' birthday :)
>
> Exactly :-)
I hope this capability is built-in into the kdelibs (say KDatePicker),
which you can set  it up to display some extra info using a specified
plugin (it may be desired if the plugins can be cascaded...): the user
can specify a plugin (say from kontact), to display important days the
user created, or use a plugin to supply info for chinese calendar, so
that when I left click the clock applet in kicker, I will find a
calendar containing all the useful info in a real chinese calendar.

I assume KDatePicker has to have some plugin-based mechanism in order
to handle this. How do you think this should be done? Define a KPart?
Or add support of CalendarDecoration to KDatePicker?

Regards,
Cougar
- Old Chinese adage