List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Chinese lunar calender support and improvement for existing
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-29 8:33:11

On Friday 29 April 2005 05:23, LiuCougar wrote:

> I am investigating implementing a Chinese lunar calender in a
> dedicated library (if necessary). However my final goal is to merge it
> into KDE.

Sounds like a good plan.

> Anyone could give me some advice about what's the optimal way to achieve
> this?

There are two aspects. One is the calendar system itself, that's how the year
is separated into months, where weeks start etc. This is covered by the
KCalendarSystem class and its subclasses in kdelibs/kdecore.

Another aspect are holidays. Holidays which have a fixed date or are relative
to easter can be handled by a simple holiday file for KOrganizer (see
kdepim/libkholidays).

If more complex calculations are required, they can be done in a
CalendarDecoration plugin for KOrganizer (see
kdepim/korganizer/plugins/hebrew for an example).

> I hope when this calender is done, it will find its way to be merged
> into the existing calander (appear after clicking the clock applet).
>
> I have another suggestion about the existing calender: it would be
> better to show festivals in your country (depends on your locale?). Of
> course this feature should be optional.

Yes, we already have lots of code there, but most of it isn't available
desktop-wide, but only in the kdepim applications. We have to improve that.
(see also the "Extending KDatePicker" section of
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/view/974).