List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: 3.4's defaults
Date:       2005-04-27 15:53:34

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 05:29 am, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 April 2005 02:40, Brendan wrote:
> > On Sunday 24 April 2005 11:52 am, Erik Kjær Pedersen wrote:
> > > A number of people got their configuration files messed up. It is too
> > > time consuming to find exactly where the configurations are bad. We
> > > have used kde a long time, so the .kde directory may contain stuff
> > > going back to 2.1, so this is not too surprising. What I do is I move
> > > .kde to .oldkde, have people log in, and move whatever data that got
> > > lost, typically bookmarks.xml and kmailrc back. This is not too bad
> > > since it is nice occasionally to see the default settings. I do however
> > > find the layout of the .kde directory somewhat confusing with user data
> > > and configuration data mixed. If somehow user data and configuration
> > > data were better separated it might work better.
> >
> > One thing to add to this that bit us big in the butt...
> >
> > Kmail is now keeping its mail under .kde, and it was killing us,  as it
> > seems so unnecessary and makes "moving .kde out of the way" so much
> > harder...But, I have already had this conversation with the kmail-dev
> > list.
>
> Why not just "move .kde/share/config out of the way" when you want to
> simply restart with a clean new-user config? The rest is (supposedly) user
> data.

I have learned to avoid using the phrase "why not just..." when dealing with
questions...

Explaining this to people is painful....."mv dot kde space dot" vs "mv dot kde
forward-slash share forward-slash config space dot" which now creates a
"config" directory that they eventually forget what it is for. Or, you copy
the whole .kde tree to .kde-old and then have to wade
through .kde/share/config and now .kde/share/apps/kmail or somesuch just to
get going again...Just different and very annoying to my users.

Do they care that you think it's "just" something? Do they care that I don't
find it difficult to do myself? No to both. This is just a big user
complaint. It'd be like changing /etc to /etc/share/config...and moving /var
to /etc/var to "Keep / clean-looking"

Do what you want with this feedback.