List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Default Fonts in KDE suck!
From:       Heinrich Wendel <h_wendel () cojobo ! net>
Date:       2005-04-25 11:03:32

Hi,

I think many people noticed it, but nobody seems to care, not even on
bugs.kde.org. The default Fonts in KDE just suck.

There are two problems:

1.) They point to values that are either not installed on many systems or not
Antialiaseable. This is why many people think their Fonts are broken, but
they are not. Just the Defaults are broken. A very easy fix for this to
change the default values to "sans", "serif" and "monotype", so fontconfig
can take care of it. And even without fontconfig (any distribution out there
without fontconfig? i don't think so) you get your font's displayed.

2.) Sometimes the size of the fonts sucks as well. This is because sometimes
the X-Servers misdetects the font resolution or the font resolution is
incorrectly set because of another reason. To fix this I propose to add a
"font-resolution" option to the Font-Tab in ControlCenter and point the
default value to 96dpi (most commonly used). Alternatively the user may also
keep the default value of the X-Server.

For initial patches you can also take a look at bug #98392.

mfg, heinrich :-)