List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Thoughts on the systray II.
From:       LiuCougar <liucougar () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-04-18 22:34:02

On 4/18/05, Fred Schaettgen <kde.sch@ttgen.net> wrote:
> On Monday, 18. April 2005 17:34, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> ..
> > >   What do you suggest for KWallet?  It's important to know that a wallet
> > > is open.  Likewise for the print manager...
> >  Hmm. Both KWallet and the print manager look like a mixture of 1), because
> > there's a mainwindow, and 3), because it's a bit like notification, to me.
> > But the mainwindow and the whole app can go away when being idle, so that's
> > not exactly like 1), and the notification should stay there the whole time
> > if I get it right, so it's not exactly like 3). (Just to make sure: By
> > notification here I think the special area in kicker where all pending
> > notifications would be queued, as I suggested in my first mail.)
> >

> I don't understand the exact meaning of "notification". How is the kwallet
> icon a notification? Are you talking about a state indicator (wallet is open)
> or an event notification (wallet was opened)? Isn't it possible to display
> each and every state indicator as a window with a corresponding taskbar item?
> KNotify is only about events currently. Do you want knotify to display
> states, too? Wouldn't it be better to give regular window more possibilities
> to display a compact representation of their current state in their taskbar
> item and use knotify only for events?
> This way the state indicator and the taskbar item for an application would
> stay at the same place. Also taskbar items display various application states
> already (application is running, currently open file is ...), so having a
> separate state indicator area would make sense only for states which don't
> correspond to anything we can show a window for - and I can't imagine what
> that could be.
Skim is such an application which does not have a corresponding
taskbar entry, simply because under no OSes, an inputmethod should
occupy a place in the taskbar. However, skim does require notification
capabilities. Currently, it is implemented by a system tray and
another dedicated kicker applet.

- Old Chinese adage