On 4/18/05, Fred Schaettgen wrote: > On Monday, 18. April 2005 17:34, Lubos Lunak wrote: > .. > > > What do you suggest for KWallet? It's important to know that a wallet > > > is open. Likewise for the print manager... > ... > > Hmm. Both KWallet and the print manager look like a mixture of 1), because > > there's a mainwindow, and 3), because it's a bit like notification, to me. > > But the mainwindow and the whole app can go away when being idle, so that's > > not exactly like 1), and the notification should stay there the whole time > > if I get it right, so it's not exactly like 3). (Just to make sure: By > > notification here I think the special area in kicker where all pending > > notifications would be queued, as I suggested in my first mail.) > > > > I don't understand the exact meaning of "notification". How is the kwallet > icon a notification? Are you talking about a state indicator (wallet is open) > or an event notification (wallet was opened)? Isn't it possible to display > each and every state indicator as a window with a corresponding taskbar item? > KNotify is only about events currently. Do you want knotify to display > states, too? Wouldn't it be better to give regular window more possibilities > to display a compact representation of their current state in their taskbar > item and use knotify only for events? > This way the state indicator and the taskbar item for an application would > stay at the same place. Also taskbar items display various application states > already (application is running, currently open file is ...), so having a > separate state indicator area would make sense only for states which don't > correspond to anything we can show a window for - and I can't imagine what > that could be. Skim is such an application which does not have a corresponding taskbar entry, simply because under no OSes, an inputmethod should occupy a place in the taskbar. However, skim does require notification capabilities. Currently, it is implemented by a system tray and another dedicated kicker applet. -- "People's characters are strengthened through struggle against difficulties; they are weakened by comfort." - Old Chinese adage >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<