List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Thoughts on the systray II.
From:       LiuCougar <liucougar () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-04-18 22:28:24

On 4/18/05, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@suse.cz> wrote:
> On Friday 15 of April 2005 23:40, LiuCougar wrote:

>  If "docking the main window of my app to the kicker" means making the actual
> window part of kicker, i.e. embedding it, then no. And it's also not possible
> to do it the current way the systray, because this has nothing to do with the
> systray. Unless I misunderstood what you mean, because that description above
> doesn't make much sense to me.
I mean embedding one of the top-level window of skim into one applet
(shipped with skim), and the applet will be added to the kicker when
required by skim. So user won't bother with the applet. If not
required any more, skim will hide the applet.

> > > no, this will still be possible. you don't need a GUI or a visible
> > > window. you will create a KSomeOtherTray ;) object and give it an icon
> > > and connect to some signals. it will then communicate via X atoms (or
> > > perhaps at some point an IPC mechanism like DCOP/DBUS) to the consumer
> > > (in this case kicker) which will then show the icon.
>
>  Hmm. Clearly at least one of us misunderstood your description, I'm just not
> sure who. But even if this is about turning a mainwindow into an applet then
> it doesn't make much sense to me either.
As I said, this behavior is a standard one under Windows XP (some
users told me that Mac OS X can also do that). So I hope it would be a
supported approach under KDE as well.

- Old Chinese adage