List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Thoughts on the systray II.
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2005-04-18 15:41:52

On Monday 18 of April 2005 17:25, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> >  No, it preferably shouldn't. Aaron, I thought one of your problems with
> > the old systray was the apps do a lot of stuff themselves.
>
> yes, so if we standardize via the implementation which user interactions
> result in which application events (e.g. "right click results in a context
> menu") things become better.

 And they become even better if simply Kicker itself shows the window. It can,
it does so with my patches. Having the popup handled by Kicker would have
similar advantages, but there comes the problem of transferring the popup.

> > The "show your
> > context menu" part in the plan is only because I don't know how to
> > transfer the popup to kicker without somebody complaining that their
> > <insert some weird widget> doesn't work in the popup.
>
> yes, it would be optimal if the menu were part of kicker. this may be
> possible, but i have my doubts as well. so this is a compromise.

 I can transfer menu containing text entries, that's no problem. Even some of
the weird menu items like sliders could be supported. But a list of such
items has to be finite. Well, that's an implementation problem, I don't think
we're quite there yet.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer