List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Thoughts on the systray II.
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-18 15:25:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 18 April 2005 08:30, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > > no, this will still be possible. you don't need a GUI or a visible
> > > window. you will create a KSomeOtherTray ;) object and give it an icon
> > > and connect to some signals. it will then communicate via X atoms (or
> > > perhaps at some point an IPC mechanism like DCOP/DBUS) to the consumer
> > > (in this case kicker) which will then show the icon.
>
>  Hmm. Clearly at least one of us misunderstood your description, I'm just
> not sure who. But even if this is about turning a mainwindow into an applet
> then it doesn't make much sense to me either.

no, that's not what i was saying.

> > > your application will recieve events like "show your context menu now,
> > > please" and "ok, show your main window!"
>
>  No, it preferably shouldn't. Aaron, I thought one of your problems with
> the old systray was the apps do a lot of stuff themselves.

yes, so if we standardize via the implementation which user interactions
result in which application events (e.g. "right click results in a context
menu") things become better.

> The "show your
> context menu" part in the plan is only because I don't know how to transfer
> the popup to kicker without somebody complaining that their <insert some
> weird widget> doesn't work in the popup.

yes, it would be optimal if the menu were part of kicker. this may be
possible, but i have my doubts as well. so this is a compromise.

--
Aaron J. Seigo