List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kicker/Taskbar: Mouseover effect
From:       Hans Oischinger <hans.oischinger () h3c ! de>
Date:       2005-04-16 21:52:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 16 April 2005 23:12, Stefan Nikolaus wrote:
> On Saturday, 16. April 2005 20:04, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > also, there is support for grabbing thumbnails of windows in the
> > taskmanager lib... it might be interesting to show the thumbnail instead
> > of the icon in the tip as an optional bit of eye candy. =)
>
> What bothers me is the fact, that the previews can only be taken from the
> active window. I saw that Qt provides a function to grab any widget - on
> top or not. It redirects the painting device to a pixmap. Maybe I'll get
> this to work. This would be much better than waiting for the application
> getting activated. I suppose this function is not new, so there must be a
> barrier. I'll give it try...
I doubt that this will work as on the current X Server everything that is
hidden is really hidden. Without Composite extension a no-go.
I really tried to hack around it long enough for Komposé and others did the
same.
Qt's grabWidget() or grabWindow() function also have the drawback that they
make the window hang for a short period of time. That is usually only
noticeable when grabbing a Screenshot from a media player or something else
with moving contents, but then it get's really annoying in time (hell, I
don't use my own application for that reason, however others use it and so
maybe it's just me)

I really like the new tooltips and would love to see them on the taskbar, too.
Still, they have to make sense and provide additional information, which would
be provided e.g. by screenshots.
I'm just not sure if grabWindow is really what we want to use. I would prefer
a solution based on Composite, however this is still a little problematic due
to availability reasons.

Greets, Hans