List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Thoughts on the systray II.
From:       Fred Schaettgen <kde.sch () ttgen ! net>
Date:       2005-04-16 11:27:10

On Saturday, 16. April 2005 03:48, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 15 April 2005 06:54, LiuCougar wrote:
> > What I am working on is a program called skim ( http://www.scim-im.org
> > is the main project homepage ). Basically, it is an input method which
> > is required for users from China, Japan, Korea etc to input their
> > native languages.
>
> ok, fair enough. thanks for the explanation.
>
> would it make sense to JUST have an applet and forget the system tray icon
> all together? would make things a lot simpler, no? if the user wishes to
> make the toolbar float, the applet can just undock the widget itself and
> reparent it (in-process even) to another window. the status icon can be a
> part of the applet, ensuring there's always some useful bit of GUI there.

Would it be possible to make applets detachable from the main kicker in
general to place them somewhere on the screen?
This way kicker would still be in control, so all undocked applets could be
raised, hidden etc. together with a single click or keypress. It was
requested several times for styleclock already, and most certainly for many
other applets too. With OS X Tiger's "Dashboard", demand for this will grow
even more. We have the applets already, it's just an additional placement-
and hiding policy - and transparency, of course. Hm, that's not what you call
"Extenders"  on http://aseigo.bddf.ca/cms/1267, or is it?
Not sure if this would be sufficient for skim though. I didn't quite
understand why the whole thing can't be an applet.

Fred

--
Fred Schaettgen
kde.sch@ttgen.net