List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Thoughts on the systray II.
From:       LiuCougar <liucougar () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-04-16 2:48:52

On 4/16/05, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> On Friday 15 April 2005 06:54, LiuCougar wrote:
> > What I am working on is a program called skim ( http://www.scim-im.org
> > is the main project homepage ). Basically, it is an input method which
> > is required for users from China, Japan, Korea etc to input their
> > native languages.
>
> ok, fair enough. thanks for the explanation.
>
> would it make sense to JUST have an applet and forget the system tray icon all
> together? would make things a lot simpler, no? if the user wishes to make the
> toolbar float, the applet can just undock the widget itself and reparent it
> (in-process even) to another window. the status icon can be a part of the
> applet, ensuring there's always some useful bit of GUI there.

Yes possible: that would make user stick to the windows XP way, which
I think is not so fair. In addition, the core logic is in the app skim
itself: I do not think it makes sense to move all of them into the
applet and make a redundancy in applet, right? So skim has to be a
seperate process. If following your approach, too much codes have to
be moved into the applet.

I am not quite understand "reparent it (in-process even) to another
window": is the "another window" in a separate process or in the same
one? If in the same one (I assume), then it requires part of the core
logic to be moved into the applet (which I described in the previous
paragraph).

I hope with the new mechanism, kicker applets can be achieved in a
standalone application (another process, like skim) just like
implementing a system tray icon: what required is to only sub-class a
special class...

thanks,

Regards,
Cougar