List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Suggestion: Tripple click the mouse button to open app/window
From:       "Michal Vaner \(Vorner\)" <vorner () atlas ! cz>
Date:       2005-04-10 12:25:47

On Sunday 10 of April 2005 14:15, Fred Schaettgen wrote:
> Brent <abatrour <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Hi, my name is Brent.
> >
> > I am a huge supporter of opensource and I have a great idea that I think
> > should be implemented in KDE before Microsoft thinks of it. Lol
> >
> > Many people I know nowadays have multiple monitors hooked up to their
> > computers. But its always a nuisance to drag the window over to the
> > other monitor if you want it there.
> > So what I suggest is an tripple mouse click system, where if you open a
> > movie by clicking on it 3 times it opens up on a designated monitor. I
> > think it would be very handy and could have the potential of the mouse
> > wheel. lol, well, maybe not.
>
> Great idea. I also want long clicks - doesn't Mac OS X have them already?
> KDE could combine both methods to become even more powerful. Combine this
> with the three mouse buttons we have and the possibilities will be
> unlimited. Long--left-short-right-short-right. KDE, the rhythmic desktop -
> musicians will love it. I think it should be implemented in KDE before
> Apple thinks of it.
>
> Honestly, triple clicks might make sense where the meaning of a triple
> click is a logical extension of a double click. Think of texts: double
> click selects a word, triple clicks selects a line. That's more or less
> intuitive. But what you suggest is far from obvious in my eyes.
> Maybe you want your video player to remember and restore its last position
> instead? Try "Advanced" -> "Special window settings" in the window menu
> of your player.
>
> Fred

Well, if I got him right, he thinks it like this: One click->select,
double-click->execute, triple-click->execute on the other monitor so he still
has view over the browser and can click on something else in the mean-time.
And yes, I think it may be a nice idea, but I can not imagine how to write
it. The double-click message would have to be sent after the system is sure
it can't be the tripple-click. So it would have to wait and that half os
second is visible change. People would say that KDE is slow because it

Windows are like... windows. Shiny, fragile, expensive.

Vorner