List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Upgrade to kde 3.4
From:       Erik =?iso-8859-1?q?Kj=E6r_Pedersen?= <erik () binghamton ! edu>
Date:       2005-04-10 1:05:49

Lørdag 09 april 2005 06:05 skrev Oswald Buddenhagen:
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:09:25AM -0400, Erik Kjær Pedersen wrote:
> > I can't remember whether this also happens at the minor upgrades but
> > maybe it does.
>
> it always does when the kdm greeter becomes binary incompatible to the
> old kdm core (which is still running at the moment the session exits).
> i've been pondering with adding a binary compatibility check to the
> interface. it would help in so far, that you'd get a message box telling
> you to restart kdm instead of just a console ...
> hmm, it would also be possible to add a "schedule restart" control
> socket command which makes kdm re-exec itself after the last session
> exits ...
For us at least this is a very serious problem. We have a bunch of rather
naive users. Quite often 80% of their cpu is being used by sophisticated
users who take 80-90% of the cpu to solve big calculation problems. When I
upgrade kde, typically friday night, I warn people that they ought to log out
and back in so that programs get restarted because otherwise kde is flaky.
They log out, and find themselves at the commandline, reboot, and kill all
processes that way.

The upgrading is done by a script over night, and I cold add various things
to my script such as telinit 3 && telinit 5. But as far as I can see that
does not get kdm restarted, so how do I get kdm restarted.

Erik