List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: option to set individual umask
From:       "Gary L. Greene Jr." <greeneg () arklinux ! org>
Date:       2005-04-07 16:52:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 07 April 2005 10:39 pm, Edwin Schepers wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to add this option somewhere in the Control Center. But before I
> begin, I'd like to know what's the best place to put such an option.
> My thoughts were : It has to do with privacy of ones information, so I'd
> put it in the "Security & Privacy" section. I was thinking about the
> "Privacy" module, but the maintainer suggested I'd put it not in there.
>
> Then, my idea is to read and set the umask in startkde. The value has to be
> read somehow. How can this be done nicely, some dcop call ?
>
> Regards,
> Edwin

> >> unsubscribe <<

Actually this begs the question of why we cannot have a full kcm for setting
user environment variables and such, liken to the Windows 2k/XP one under the
System Preferences panel in the Windows Control Panel? While KDE has hidden
away other rather "scary" portions of the *NIX operating system on the
underside, we've yet to see a complete solution to all the other little
mundane segments get KDE-ified.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from uriel