List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Configure with icc
From:       Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde () carewolf ! com>
Date:       2005-04-06 14:45:54

On Wednesday 06 April 2005 15:44, Allen Winter wrote:

> Allan (nice name btw..although possibly misspelled ;>)
:P

> I too have an AMD system.   When you say "deliberately break" do you mean
> that the executable code is "slowed-down"?  or that the executable code is
> "wrong"?

It puts processor-checks in the beginning of the code. Officially to detect if
the processors supports extensions that have been used, such as MMX and SSE.
The old version 6 and 7, would just pick the slower path for AMD processors,
which could be circumvented by only compiling one path in the binary (-xM vs
-axM). The newer version 8 will just break and claim a AMD processor is
incompatible. There are also workarounds for this. You can for instance
compile only libraries with icc (remember still to use -x and not -ax), and
compile the executables with gcc. For KDE this could almost be done by only
compiling kdeinit with gcc and the rest with icc.
Until recently I was still using a Qt library compiled with icc, together with
KDE compiled with gcc 3.3.

I have to note though that I haven't used icc for more than half a year. You
should try and check what happens if you compile an executable which can be
vectorized with "icc -xiMW", and try and run it on your AMD.

I doubt however they have fixed it. The problem was that until they broke it
for AMD processors, AMD was using the Intel compiler for official specmarks,
and they hated that. With now even 64bits instructions in icc and a better
implementation of them on AMD, they have even more reason to make sure AMD
can't use their compiler unhacked.

`Allan