List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Spell-checking in 3.4.0 ?
From:       "Michal Vaner \(Vorner\)" <vorner () atlas ! cz>
Date:       2005-03-26 9:01:38

On Saturday 26 of March 2005 06:25, Pavel Troller wrote:
> Hi!
>   I just compiled my first 3.4.0 from BRANCH and I have some problems with
> spellchecking.
>   I have aspell installed with appropriate dictionary (cs) and it works
> perfectly in standalone mode, on iso-8859-2 documents as well as on utf-8
> ones. I've selected aspell as a spell checking engine and specified a
> correct dictionary in kcm. I also played with encoding settings and tried
> iso-8859-2 as well as utf-8.
>   However, it doesn't work, it seems there are two separate problems:
>   1) In kword, it has problems with encoding. For example, when I write a
> word "kdy¾" (a correct Czech word), it's underlined as mistyped, and when I
> run a spell check, it offers a word "kdy3/4" for replacement, these 3/4
> being one character - the one having the same code in iso-8859-1 as "¾" in
> iso-8859-2. So it seems that the word is fed incorrectly encoded (or with
> incorrect encoding settings) to aspell, aspell returns a replacement
> encoded in iso8859-2 but it's incorrectly presented as being in iso8859-1.
>   2) In other programs (kate/kwrite, for example), when I try to run a
> spell check, it pops an error dialog saying that the spellchecking program
> could not be run and it informs me that it should be in $PATH. Of course
> aspell itself is in path. I didn't find any place where a spellchecker
> program name is asked for, so I don't know which particular command it's
> trying to execute. Kspread is even more verbose and tells me that ispell
> cannot be found, which even isn't true - it's normally in /usr/bin. And
> kspread itself, in its spellchecking settings, shows me aspell as a
> selected choice.
>   I'm not filling a bug report yet because I still hope that it's an error
> in my settings, that I'm simply stupid to manage it correctly. If You think
> these are real bugs, I'll do it.
>                                 With regards, Pavel Troller

> >> unsubscribe <<

Well, about the first one, I had this problem in 3.3.4 as well and figured
out, that kword works on iso-8859-2, even when I have system wide setting set
to utf-8. Switching to that encoding helps, but you have to return it back to
utf-8, when you stop using the kword.

--

Windows are like... windows. They look nice only from a distance and they are
fragile.

Vorner