List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Spell-checking in 3.4.0 ?
From:       Pavel Troller <patrol () sinus ! cz>
Date:       2005-03-26 5:25:38

Hi!
  I just compiled my first 3.4.0 from BRANCH and I have some problems with
spellchecking.
  I have aspell installed with appropriate dictionary (cs) and it works
perfectly in standalone mode, on iso-8859-2 documents as well as on utf-8
ones. I've selected aspell as a spell checking engine and specified a correct
dictionary in kcm. I also played with encoding settings and tried
iso-8859-2 as well as utf-8.
  However, it doesn't work, it seems there are two separate problems:
  1) In kword, it has problems with encoding. For example, when I write a word
"kdy¾" (a correct Czech word), it's underlined as mistyped, and when I run
a spell check, it offers a word "kdy3/4" for replacement, these 3/4 being one
character - the one having the same code in iso-8859-1 as "¾" in iso-8859-2.
So it seems that the word is fed incorrectly encoded (or with incorrect
encoding settings) to aspell, aspell returns a replacement encoded in iso8859-2
but it's incorrectly presented as being in iso8859-1.
  2) In other programs (kate/kwrite, for example), when I try to run a spell
check, it pops an error dialog saying that the spellchecking program could not
be run and it informs me that it should be in $PATH. Of course aspell itself
is in path. I didn't find any place where a spellchecker program name is asked
for, so I don't know which particular command it's trying to execute. Kspread
is even more verbose and tells me that ispell cannot be found, which even isn't
true - it's normally in /usr/bin. And kspread itself, in its spellchecking
settings, shows me aspell as a selected choice.
  I'm not filling a bug report yet because I still hope that it's an error in
my settings, that I'm simply stupid to manage it correctly. If You think these
are real bugs, I'll do it.
                                With regards, Pavel Troller