List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdm and Xservers file (was: Re: bugs.kde.org offline due to kde
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-03-20 18:25:17

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 03:57:45PM +0100, Torsten Kasch wrote:
> > all three no problem: let it create the Xservers file as usual and
> > then merge it into kdmrc from the outside. does the tool communicate
> > with kdm directly at all?
>
> Hmm, I probably wasn't clear enough: as SunRay appliances
> connect/disconnect to a server (load balancing, fail over), the
> Xservers file is modified and needs to be re-read;

i _did_ understand that.
the question is, how is the dm supposed to know that the file changed?
does the tool look for the xdm pid and hup it or does it rely on xdm's
auto-rescan on session exit?

> > anyway, i'll implement file merging in kdm_config relatively soon,
> > so you'll be able to provide host-specific kdmrcs that shadow the
> > server options from the global one.
>
> I think I'll understand the intentions of the change but this doesn't
> help me right now since we're soon going to update our production
> systems

how soon? i can provide a patch within a few hours if you want. of
course this would only help if the config transformation problem is
solved adequately.