List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdm and Xservers file (was: Re: bugs.kde.org offline due to kde
From:       Torsten Kasch <tk () cebitec ! uni-bielefeld ! de>
Date:       2005-03-17 11:19:58

On Thursday 17 March 2005 11:13, you wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 08:33:23AM +0100, Torsten Kasch wrote:
> > kdm isn't an option anymore. :-(
>
> utter nonsense.

Really? How many SunRay servers do you maintain?

> do you really think i'd have taken away such essential
> configurability? just modify your script to fiddle with kdmrc instead of
> Xservers.

Not an option because:

- It's not *my* script, it's part of the software provided by Sun and I
  won't change this without need (since it would require to modify it
  after patch installations) -- at least not just to get another login
  manager.

- The actual manipulation of the Xservers file is done by a binary (again
  provided by Sun) for which I do not have sources. So I have to assume that
  it won't be able to handle other file formats.

- It is not clear if the Xservers file is used/required by other SunRay
  utilities.

- For obvious reasons we want to share our "kdmrc" among our SunRay servers
  which is no longer be possible with the current design.

Kind regards,

 Torsten