List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Allow money donations for precise bugs
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2005-03-14 11:03:18

David Johnson wrote:
>> From: Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever@tin.it>
>>
>> Even if I weren't lazy, I would *still* not have that freedom. Please
>> let me repeat the paragraph you quoted away:
>>
>> I am asking for the freedom to join other people and, together, sponsor
>> the developement of a feature we need.
>>
>> Suppose I am not lazy, and I contact people myself, via newsgroups,
>> email, etc. This still does not give me the above freedom. I don't have
>> that freedom until KDE (or someone else) gives me a structure, a system,
>> that allows me to:
>

> Pardon me for interrupting, but you *DO* have that freedom! There is
> nothing that is stopping you from doing it but your own "lazyness". Just
> go out and join with other people, and together, sponsor the development!
> It's how the world works.

I'll try to build some service which allows users to join and sponsor, yes.
But I'll have a huge problem of visibility, which we wouldn't have had if we
incorporated this system in kde.bugs.org, with big "donate for this feature"
buttons spreaded along the site. And this could have made the difference
between success and failure.

>> 1. gives me the certainty that my money will be used to develop that
>> feature.
>

> Nothing in life is ever certain. But on the bright side, you don't have to
> pay out your "sponsorship" if you can't find someone to do the development
> for you. There is no need to gamble with your money.
>
> The only way to guarantee the certainty you want is to eliminate the
> freedom and liberty of developers.

You are interpreting my words in a way too strict.
To have reasonable certainty that my money is being used for that feature,
all we need is a *reputation system*. I know my feature is being worked on
because developers have an incentive to do so: if they didn't, they would
loose reputation points, because donators would give them negative votes when
the time is finished and they haven't delivered.

> You may not coerce anyone to your will, because that is the opposite of
> freedom.

NOBODY IS WILLING TO REMOVE ANY FREEDOM FROM KDE DEVELOPERS. How many times
must I say this? This is all about adding a *new* freedom which doesn't clash
with any other freedom.

There is some misunderstanding in the rest of your mail, but I prefer to stop
here.

Maurizio