List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Allow money donations for precise bugs
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2005-03-12 9:12:10

Mathias Homann wrote:
> Am Samstag, 12. März 2005 09:09 schrieb Boudewijn Gailliaert:
>
>>Hi Maurizio,
>>
>>I like the idea, but I am pretty shure that a company like MS would
>>donate a lot of money to skip a few good options in KDE.
>>How would you handle such situations?
>

> i guess his idea would make that impossible.
> the way i understand him, he wants a "donate" button as an extension
> of the voting system (think of it as "hey i not only vote for bug
> number #abcdef to get fixed, i even pay some cash for it").

Yes but not quite. I give you an example of what I am proposing.

1. I file a bug (say "side bar with recent folders history");

2. Some developer (Jack) decides to take car of the task, and says:

    "I can implement this feature in 3 months for 5000$. I declare
     donations open. Donations close in 20 days, on September 6 2005.

3. People begin donating freely.

4. After 20 days, on September 6 2005:

    (a)  if the 5000$ threshold was reached, Jack begins working, and he
         *must* deliver within 3 months.

    (b)  if the 5000$ were not reached, the money is refunded to the donators
         (or at least it because reusable for other tasks).

---

Notice there are two times to be decided:

1. six months. This is the _maximum_ time needed to implement the feature.

2. september 6 2005. We cann call this the "restitution date".

they should be all decided by the developer, I believe.

Maurizio