List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Allow money donations for precise bugs
From:       Mathias Homann <Mathias.Homann () eregion ! de>
Date:       2005-03-12 8:24:36

Am Samstag, 12. März 2005 09:09 schrieb Boudewijn Gailliaert:
> Hi Maurizio,
>
> I like the idea, but I am pretty shure that a company like MS would
> donate a lot of money to skip a few good options in KDE.
> How would you handle such situations?

i guess his idea would make that impossible.
the way i understand him, he wants a "donate" button as an extension
of the voting system (think of it as "hey i not only vote for bug
number #abcdef to get fixed, i even pay some cash for it").
IMO, there's no way that this could be abused to have some bug NOT
fixed / wished feature NOT implemented.

> On the other hand: why let people without knowledge, (and maybe
> enough money), decide what to do? In the case of user-options it
> could work, but not at the system-level.

ummm.... maybe because they're the majority? It wouldnt mean that the
kde developers have no say anymore... but its the same as with the
voting now: its a way to tell which bugs/features are important to a
large number of users.

I don't have to be a highly-skilled developer to know that i would
REALLY want kmail to be able to delete file attachments from stored
mails to save me lots of space on disk.
I don't have to be a highly skilled developer to know that i would
like to be able to attach annotations to mails.
(two examples of features wished for kmail since quite a while where
voting took place but didn't help that much, but if everyone who
voted for one of those hasd paid, say, 1$...)

bye,
	MH

--
gpg key fingerprint: 5F64 4C92 9B77 DE37 D184  C5F9 B013 44E7 27BD
763C