List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Disk usage optimizations
From:       Esben Mose Hansen <kde () mosehansen ! dk>
Date:       2005-02-25 18:11:55

On Friday 2005-02-25 15:17, Manuel Amador wrote:
> > B) Suddenly I'm more afraid of this port to windows because of things
> > like we can't assume forks/open/stat are fast
>
> Not only we cannot assume that, we can count on the fact that forks,
> opens and stats are EXTREMELY slow.  Do you ever wonder why Windows
> tends to ship icon libraries instead of single icons, and include
> commonly used resources in executables?

Personally, I'm hoping that the windows port will be a fork rather than a
supported platform. I have done crossplatform between Z/OS, Linux, AIX and
Windows and my god, windows suck. I mean, Z/OS is bad, but not even in the
same league.

Being able to fork all the time is so nice, so efficient and so much /cleaner/
than execv or threads. All IMHO, of course.

--
regards. Esben