List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Disk usage optimizations
From:       Manuel Amador <rudd-o () amautacorp ! com>
Date:       2005-02-23 21:11:09

What kills interactive performance is the disk seeks.  Putting them into
ksycoca should (assuming all of ksycoca is contiguous) be faster upon
reading than individual files.  Of course, if either ksycoca or all
individual files are in the cache, the only overhead is the stat/open on
each needed file.

The problem is that on low memory conditions, the disk cache is vacated,
and both small files and large files are vacated.

> Why isn't this stuff in the ksyscoca db? Couldn't we update the db on
> first load and all other times use it for this action, lowering it to 1
> read instead of 464+ reads? Just a thought... :)

Manuel Amador <rudd-o@amautacorp.com>
Amauta